I hauled 500 pounds of manure in eight feed sacks to put in the raised bed. Initially, and before work, I just got four bags. That didn’t go far enough but I was dodging raindrops and short on time.
Again, this is well-rotted horse manure. Since the wife and oldest son are at the homeschooling expo in St. Louis, I took the three remaining kids with me over lunch to grab the rest of the manure. Here they are on the trailer.
I dumped each bag then the oldest daughter spread them out in the bed while telling me how excited she is to get her flowers planted. Yup. It’s worth it.
After work we added a layer of composted leaves, chicken bedding and chicken offal.
Tomorrow we choreograph the pasture ballet and have a few appointments to keep so we won’t make much traction on this project. Sunday when I clean out bedding under the rabbits I’ll add that to the top of the bed. The plan is to have some full-sun annuals planted on Sunday. Hopefully we’ll get a heavy rain in the next 24 hours to wash the nutrients all through the chips below and take some of the nitrogen out of the composted horse manure. If not, I think we’ll be fine. There should be a fair amount of residual warmth coming from the greenhouse and the composting action in the bed so we shouldn’t have problems if we get a light frost. If winter comes for one last hurrah I’ll have to cover the plants.